Subscribe to our newsletter to receive your weekly dose of inspiration and stay abreast of the latest hot-to-market properties.

Subscribe Now
Background Image
Home is Where the Heart is
Create Your Own Calm
Make Space for What Matters
Dream Big
Find Wonder
Live Simply
Give Thanks
Be Kind to Yourself
Today You Will Thrive
Start Each Day with a Grateful Heart
Find Joy in the Ordinary
Create the Life You Want
Follow Your Heart & Intuition
Be Here, Now
Disconnect to Reconnect
Seek Joy
Enjoy the Little Things
What You Do Makes a Difference
Your Focus Determines Your Reality
Let Go of the Things You Cannot Change

Employing a Domestic Helper in Hong Kong

Nest Property

If you’re looking to hire a domestic helper in Hong Kong, there are several simple ways to find someone who fits your home and family. You can start with agencies that specialise in helping you find the right helper. These agencies will listen to what you need and then suggest helpers who have the skills and personality you’re looking for.

Another way is to look through online platforms where many domestic helpers place ads offering their services. This way, you can contact them directly.

Asking friends or people you know is also a great idea. They might know a good helper who’s looking for work. When someone you trust recommends a helper, it’s often safer because they know both of you and can tell if you’ll work well together.

No matter which way you choose to find your domestic helper, the law in Hong Kong says you have to use a special contract called the Standard Employment Contract. This is a rule from the Immigration Department. You’ll also need to apply for an employment visa for your helper with this department. It’s a necessary step to make sure everything is done right and legally.




How to get the standard Employment Contract?

For a copy of the employment contract please visit the Immigration Department in Wanchai (2/F) or visit Hong Kong GOV site:

A lot of domestic helpers will require an employer to process a visa for their legal stay in Hong Kong and work. For more information please visit the Hong Kong GOV Visa site and get all the required guidelines:


What is the Cost of a Domestic Helper?

Generally, foreign domestic helpers require a salary that is no less than the Minimum Allowable Wage (MAW) announced by the Government and prevailing at the date of signing the employment contract for employing the foreign domestic helper. The minimum wage is currently set at HK$4,870 per month.

Under the Standard Employment Contract, the employer must provide suitable accommodation and with reasonable privacy, free food (or food allowance in lieu, which is HK$1,236 per month at present), and free travel from the helper’s home country to Hong Kong and return to the home country on termination or expiry of the contract. The above levels of the MAW and food allowance are applicable to all contracts signed on or after 30 September 2023. These are the basic baselines for costs but specific circumstances may vary.

As stipulated in the Employees’ Compensation Ordinance (Cap. 282), an employer must take out an insurance policy to cover his/her liability both under the Ordinance and at common law for injury at work in respect of an employee. In addition, employers are required to provide the domestic helper with free medical treatment under the Standard Employment Contract when he/she is ill or suffers personal injury during the period of employment. It is strongly recommended to take out an insurance policy with full medical and hospitalization coverage for the helper. You may also consider taking out a comprehensive insurance policy that provides medical and hospitalisation coverage and satisfies the requirement under the Employees’ Compensation Ordinance at the same time.

More Details of Employment:


Scope of Work:

A foreign domestic helper should only perform domestic duties for the employer’s residence stated within the contract. The employer should not require or allow the helper to carry out any work for any other person, otherwise, the helper may be liable to criminal prosecution. For more details, you can refer to the links below.


Terminating Contract:

If you decide to terminate the employment contract of your foreign domestic helper, you should notify the Immigration Department in writing within seven days of the date of termination. You can now do it online.

Click the link below for details.